Thursday, January 13, 2005

Apropos hope & love

I think my chemical balance is shifting, and I think I know why (but for now, let's leave that a secret). I am still on the forlorn and exquisite road of my last two posts, feeling my way around/gropping for the threads between what we want, what we need, what we can do, hope and love.

In this quest, I've begun to look to outside sources of inspiration, mostly in the form of quotations.



The best and most apropos so far: this from Reinhold Niebuhr...



"Nothing worth doing is completed in our lifetime.

Therefore, we are saved by hope.

Nothing true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history.

Therefore, we are saved by faith.

Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone.

Therefore, we are saved by love.

No virtuous act is quite a virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as from our own.

Therefore, we are saved by the final form of love which is foregiveness."



This reminds me of my closing line in Tuesday's post, which happens to be the title of psychologist Erich Fromm's classic book, "The Art of Loving."

Since this remains one of my Top Twenty books, let me give it my highest recommendation.

All we need is love? No, we need a lot more than love. But nothing costs less and is worth more.

Love, my readers and friends.

Lawrence

1 Comments:

At 1/14/2005 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgiveness is an act of love, especially with parents. I was reminded of this recently when a friend was telling me about moving her parents near so she could take care of them, and resenting the task because of the way they "tortured" her as a teenager. She hasn't forgiven them. The care WILL be a task until she can bring herself to forgive them. RQ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home