Thursday, January 27, 2005

The Two Almighties

OK, the two almighties.

So what are they?

Shouldn't they be our Top Two Guiding Principles?

Like the Golden Rule and something else?

But no, the Two Almighties are "Almighty God" and the "Almighty Dollar."

Yep, the "Guy Upstairs" and the Dollar Lama.

So do piety and affluence make for heaven on Earth? Shouldn't "almighty" things do that? It's this life we're surfing for, hoping to get it right - spend it wisely.

It occurs to me that the Two Almighties are related to our abilities to be healthy, wealthy and wise - maybe not as most suspect, believe and even insist.

Healthy? Is going for Pie in the Sky really a mature, modern thing to do? Modernity too much for you? The scientific method just not as catchy as superstition?

And wealthy? All of our attention to the Almighty Dollar seems to have created a lot of wealth (though real wealth is still tied more closely, I'd say, to creativity, not yuppie striving). No not wealthy, really, but in debt - and indebted to the Big Corporations that run Heaven (and our heavenly desires) these days.

Wise? Oh, boy. What's wise got to do with it? We've shucked all the kitchen table/chicken soup wisdom we can to keep going after our TV sucking celebrity mongering and money, money, money - translated into STUUUFFFF.

And all that STUFFF is headed not for the SKY - but headed straight toward the LANDFILL, sooner... or later.

Right along with our pearly corpses as caskets or ashes. All fodder for the LANDFILL. So who knows about that afterlife, really? And remember, like they say: you can't take it with you.

So lighten up, my friends. Lighten the load. And create the one thing that can at least sort of live on after your gods and dollars have vanished into thin air - create a good LEGACY for yourself.

A fine and dandy reputation and legacy will keep you at least healthier, at least sort of happy, wealthy in what REALLY COUNTS.

And WISE? Astonishingly wise.



4 Comments:

At 1/28/2005 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "Dollar Lama"--I like that. Wonder what made you think to write about people having too much STUUFFFF. Keep up the good work. RQ

 
At 1/28/2005 7:52 AM, Blogger Lawrence said...

Thanks RQ, and I think YOU. KNOW. WHO. !!!

Yep, thems that brung me into this world. Now I dance around, jump out of the way of and move in the shadows of their STUUUFFFF.

I've been thinking that materialism can eat away at a person (and a culture, maybe a species, maybe life on Earth) like CANCER. It's not just the shopping addiction, it is the addiction to STUUUFFFF.

Cheers, and here's to lightening our material loads.

Tread lightly. I mean it!

 
At 1/31/2005 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, folks.......shall our definition of "STUUUUUFFFF" include boooooks, too?? ;)

I'll start sorting and weeding when y'all do..........

 
At 2/01/2005 8:31 AM, Blogger Lawrence said...

Ah books, one of my addictions. Yes, a biblioholic, I'll admit. And yes, I do own a few THOUSAND books I haven't read! (I've spent many an escapist hour and indebted dollar at Half Price Books and a slew of other bookstores especially suited to rather aimless wandering (though lately I inevitably head to three sections first: relationships, self-help, and psychology.

BUT I have weeded out hundreds in the last few years. I want those books to get read by someone. Every book deserves an active and attentive home!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home