Wednesday, February 09, 2005

"A Better Nation" Q & A

In lieu of ranting or raving this round,
how about some questions?

Of course, these may be taken rhetorically,
but I welcome your responses, epic or quick.



Here are a baker's dozen, with bonus:



12. What gets us from here to there?

11. Who are your heroes?

10. What qualities make your heroes heroic?

9. Do you have a "golden rule" or maxims by which you live?

8. What do you consider to be "involvement" in democracy and/or "service" to your nation?

7. What traits best define "the American character"?

6. Is your life as passionate/as sensual as you would like? How so or not?

5. What is your favorite holiday and why?

4. Is this the "land of the free and the brave"? (OK, how free and how brave?)

3. What is the greatest lesson you learned from your parents, a teacher or mentor?

2. What or WHO is the most FUN in your life these days?

1. What or WHO is the greatest CHALLENGE in your life these days?



And the bonus question...


For extra credit:

What would you like to say something about that nobody has asked you about lately?




As you might suspect, these questions all hint at future topics here at "A Better Nation" - and I invite you to offer your own Q's and A's as well.

As always, thanks for stopping by.

4 Comments:

At 2/11/2005 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How to Attract a Man When You're No Longer Young and Beautiful

That's my current challenge. it sort of falls under the category of "Be Careful What You Ask For". When I was young and beautiful, I really resented guys who were attracted to me because of my looks. I wanted someone to like me because I was intelligent, witty, fun to be with, etc. So now my challenge is to attract a man by being intelligent, witty and fun to be with. However, I'm finding men who want eye-candy and swishy skirts and slim, youthful figures. Somethings never change. I do still have long hair, one advantage over other women my age, and it's not totally gray or white, but if a man mentions my long hair that will probably be a "red flag". Life is an adventure! Right? RQ

 
At 2/11/2005 9:06 AM, Blogger Lawrence said...

Well RQ, I would agree that for those of us without or missing a significant other, that can be one of our biggest challenges. The first reward is that we become better people by learning anew - teaching ourselves (the old dog) new tricks. Not that we have to be tricky. Indeed, it seems we should be less tricky and more REAL, more self-assured. But like you say, some things never change (or don't change as much as we'd like), and so the pursuit of intimate happiness can bring out the confused and even disdainful adolescent in us.

 
At 2/11/2005 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

11. heroes: Walter Chronkite, Jimmy Carter

10. heroic trait: humility, kindness, compassion, humanitarianism

9. golden rule: being nice

6. passionate/sensual enough: no, right now my energy is going elsewhere

5. favorite holiday: Christmas because it's the recognized birthday of Jesus and because of the lights and the music, and people tend to try to be nicer that time of year

3. most important lesson from parents: inadvertantly, they taught me to be independent

2. most fun: "Warren" (aka Lawrence)

1. greatest challenge: myself


Play nice, gigi

 
At 2/13/2005 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

12. What gets us from here to there is, I think, hope and a spirit of adventure.

11. Aung San Suu Kyi is a hero.

10. The quality I most admire in any hero is not fearlessness, but action in the face of fear.

9.The original golden rule is a pretty good one, treating other people as you would like to be treated. I also believe that all important decisions are made on the basis of insufficient information.

8. See #10 and #9 above. I think a combination of those is my answer for #8.

7.I don't have an answer for this one.

6.I could probably do with a little more skin contact with nice people, but, generally, I'm pretty good on the passion question.

5. I don't like holidays. They make me grouchy.

4.To paraphrase Iris DeMent, I think we are truly living in the wasteland of the free. Look around you.

3. My mother taught me to speak my mind and my father taught me to be a fearless cook.

2. I have two new friends, one an international cyber-friend, and one a beautiful, non-English-speaking Hispanic man, and they are both enriching my days enormously.

1. I am my own greatest challenge. I need to get out of the way and let my life proceed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home