Friday, March 17, 2006

Patriotic Duty?

We're on the eve of the 3rd anniversary of the Bush administration's war on Iraq, three and a half years into the broader (and everlasting?) war on terror - or is that supposed to be Terror with a capital T?

What, as patriots, should we do?

What is our "patriotic duty"?

It may seem clear to some who over nationalize, and it may seem very unclear to many more who just don't have any clue where the "wide arc of history" is taking us in this new world disorder and disarray and dismay.

But I think the answer, for individuals such as ourselves, is rather (of course) in between. But it can be started off clearly with this mission statement:

To speak up and stand up for what is in the best interest of the most people the world over for the longest period of time.

Yes, we've got to get a grasp on some big elephant issues, the truly global tendrils of our "American values" and actions as a nation and as citizens of that nation. We are, each of us, more responsible for ourselves than we are - even collectively - for our country. Not only in the end but all along, ethics and moral principle depend on the actions of individuals.

If you think war is best, support the war. If you support the troops but not the war, whatever that means, then do that, however that can be done. If you oppose the war, please say so, in terms that are firm yet framed as the statements of a patriot.

I can't draw a line around the tribe, the region, the nation, the species I am patriotic towards. I think we really are all in this together.

I'll be marching this weekend and in the fashion of civility, speaking my mind, taking my stand and conveying my own sense of peace with others and with myself.

I am secure in this conviction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home